Albaugh, Catherine "Katie" 2005--Katie helped organize a local Alzheimer's support group and helped distribute information about the group. She was involved in a fundraising walk each year at Zoar for Alzheimer's. She began working at Belmont Stamping and Enameling at age 18, after her father passed away. She was secretly married for six months so that she could keep her job. Katie was involved in the Tuscarawas County AARP, the Order of Eastern Star, Mobile Meals, and the Dover Study Club. At the time of her award, she had been an election poll worker for 62 years! In 1997 she received the Torgler Award for her contribution to mental health in Tuscarawas County.
Alexander, L. H. 1985--Alexander served for forty years from 1917 to 1957 as supervisor of music for Dover City Schools. He wrote the Dover High School Fight Song and Alma Mater. Alexander organized the first high school band in Dover. "I hope I have taught appreciation of good music," he said of the countless Dover students, now adults, he taught.
Andrews, Dr. Gregory L. 1998--Dr. Andrews is a graduate of North Canton Hoover High School, earning his associate and bachelor degrees from Kent State University, his master from the University of Akron, and his Ph.D. in sociology from Kent State. He served at Kent State Stark before becoming the Dean at Kent State Tuscarawas in 1995. He served on the boards of the United Way, the Tuscarawas County Chamber of Commerce, Trumpet in the Land, and Bank One. Dr. Andrews' planning and support brought the TuscKent Archive room to reality.
Baker, Jon 2011--Jon Baker is a native of Dennison and is a Claymont High School and Kent State University graduate. Jon has worked at newspapers in Cambridge, Youngstown, Uhrichsville and Dover-New Phila. He writes many local history articles. He has also written four local history book on Feed Springs, Dennison, tales of the Tuscarawas Valley, and a history of Tappan. Jon helped with the former Soldiers Homecoming festival in Dennison, serves on the board of the Tuscarawas County Genealogical Society, and the National Society of Andersonville.
Barthalow, Clyde 1983--Clyde Barthalow of Newcomerstown was honored for his contibutions as an educator, administrator, and school board member over the years.
Belknap, Dr. William W. 1997--Dr. Belknap is a pioneer in the chiropractic field in Tuscarawas County and widely known for his contribution to athletic programs in the county.
Blasenhauer, Carl 2008--In 1938 Carl Blasenhauer took over his grandfather's plumbing business in Mineral City. He sold the business in 1981 but still helped people, and he always took care of his church's heating system for free. He was the founder of Mineral City's Lions Club. As a member of Mineral City's Board of Public Affairs, he spent many nights working on water and sewer lines in the village. He served on the Board of Education and was active in the Mineral City Historical Society.
Bonamico, Joe 2013--Joe is well-recognized in the area for his work at Trumpet in the Land. Joe has participated in the drama for many years, and penned his own play, The White Savage, about his historical character, Simon Girty. He shares his knowledge with school children and has appeared in television commercials, on the History Channel, and in the movie Old Fashioned.
Bonamico, Margaret 2003--Margaret is the General Manager of Trumpet in the Land, and has been a part of the outdoor drama for 50 years. Her role as general manager puts in charge of actors and technicians, and in director contact with administrators and the general public. She was also part of the New Philadelphia Bicentennial Committee. Margaret has worked untiringly through good times and bad, rainy weather, and long seasons to create an outstanding cultural icon in the community.
Brown, Jeff 2004--Throughout Jeff Brown's career as an archeaologist and history preservationist, he has made substantive contributions toward preserving the history of Tuscarawas County and the surrounding area. From 1976 to 1981 he administered our area's Regional Archeaological Preservation Office, recording hundreds of sites from the county for the state of Ohio's inventory of archeaoligcal sites. Over the past 25 years he has written successful National Register applications for more than 60 properties. Those in Tuscarawas County include the Frederick Bernhard House, Langlauf House, Rinderknecht House, Cooper House, Deis House--all in Dover, the Norma Johnson Barn, Ragersville School, Zoarville Bridge, and the Johnson Site 11. Brown has authored and co-authored six books. He has served as trustee for the Dennison Railroad Depot Museum, the Stark Preservation Alliance, the Canton Palace Theater Association, the Tuscarawas County Historical Society, the Clearview Legacy Foundation and the Law Reed Huss Family Foundation.
Browning, Bryce 1981--Bryce Browning was the founder of the Muskingum Watershed Conservancy District
Buehlers, 1999 Corporate Award, Ron Septer and Doug Wills--The Buehlers stores have been a great help to the Tuscarawas County Historical Society over the years, including selling the Landmark Calendars and allowing the Society to have displays in their stores.
Ron Septer was born in Missouri and graduated from Akron East High School. Ron managed the New Philadelphia Buehlers store and is on the advisory board of Buckeye Career Center.
Doug Wills is a graduate of New Philadelphia High School and Kent State University. He has been president of the Tuscarawas County Fair Board, Chairman of the Tuscarawas County Republican Club, and served on the Board of Elections. He managed the Dover Parkside Store.
Buehler, Rev. Bernice 1998--Rev. Buehler graduated from Port Washington and New Philadelphia's High School and attended the Tuscarawas County Normal School. She began teaching at the Beaverdam School and in the next year at Front Elementary in New Philadelphia. She was then called into the ministry and graduated from Boston University in 1929. In 1932 she enrolled in Yale Divinity School, where she was in the first class of women graduates. She became a leader in the training of Christian Educators by developing the Department of Children's Work for the Board of Christian Education of the Evangelical and Reformed Church in Philadelphia, PA. She was the first ordained woman minister in the Southeast Ohio Synod of the Evangelical and Reformed Church, now the United Church of Christ. She served as minister at St. John's in Dover and on numerous boards and committees.
Carlisle, Glenn 2004--Glenn is a true leader of our community, focusing on helping others. He organized a neighborhood crime watch program, litter prevention, and recycling effort in the Goshen area. Roads, health, and fire safety were concerns he addressed as township trustee. He served on the Indian Valley School Board 2004 Bond Committee and was a president of the Midvale Elementary PTA. His concern for youth also prompted years of involvement with Boy Scouts and Little League. During his terms as a Tuscarawas County Commissioner, Starlight School became a reality. He also pastored a church for over 50 years. In 1990 he was a part of a Habitat for Humanity team that built a community building in Haiti. He has shared the history of Tuscarawas County with many canoeing enthusiasts on river tours.
Catholic Sisters of Tuscarawas County 2005--Since 1884, hundreds of Catholic Sisters have served the county, including Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity, Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur, Sisters of the Congregation of St. Joseph, Sisters of Divine Providence, Sisters of Holy Humility of Mary, Sisters of Charity of Nazareth, and the Dominican Sisters of St. Mary. Most have taught in the Catholic schools, but also have served in the community with food pantries, local organizations, and the court system.
College Club of Tuscarawas County 2010--The College Club began in 1910 at the home of Miss Minnie Porter with three goals--promote and perpetuate the college spirit; foster their intelligent interests; and to be a service to New Philadelphia. In their first year they donated $100 towards the site of the library. In 1929 the ladies formed a scholarship program. In 1969 the Club's name became the College Club of Tuscarawas County. The list of presidents of the Club reads like a "Who's Who" of Tuscarawas County women.
Cunningham, Carol 2002--Carol served as Red Cross Director in Tuscarawas County for over 25 years. Her efforts in the county were described with the simple phrase, "I'll try," and try she did with many organizations--the Youth Center, Red Cross, First United Church of Christ, the Public Library, and the Historical Society to name a few.
Cronin, Lester 1983--Lester Cronin retired as a county extension agent active with 4-H and Granges in Tuscarawas County. This was a government post helping farmers, located at the time about the United States Post Office in New Philadelphia, the County Seat. He was instrumental in the founding of Trumpet in the Land, an outdoor drama--the story of David Zeisberger, John Heckewelder and the first Christian settlement in what is now Ohio. These Moravian missionaries came to Schoenbrunn in 1772, converting local Delaware Indians. As the Trumpet website says, "Written by Pulitzer Prize-winning playwright Paul Green, Trumpet in the Land is an unforgettable experience that bring to life the Ohio frontier during the Revolutionary War. Performed in the same hills from which this story is born, Trumpet is a thrilling and passionate story of a peaceful people's influence on the war and the tragic events that encircled the founding of Ohio's first settlement, Schoenbrunn."
Daugherty, Norma and George 2000--Norma and George have been the backbone of Meals on Wheels for many years. Norma has been a volunteer since its inception and George began helping after his retirement from Timken in 1982. They also help at St. John's United Church of Christ in Dover.
Doughtery, Dr. Clark M. 1989--Dr. Clark M. Doughtery, a retired surgeon, in addition to being a supporter of our historical heritage, after serving in the Air Force and Army, contributed to many health related community programs.
Doughton, Dr. Philip and Molly 2008--Molly Doughton is a retired English teacher and one of the first people to propose the Tuscarawas Campus of Kent State University. She has been a Girl Scout leader, president of the PTA, and a member of many boards, including the Tuscarawas Valley Guidance Center, and Community Mental Health Care Board. She is a member of the Fort Laurens chapter Daughters of the American Revolution. Dr. Doughton served as county coroner for many years. He received the Quaker Foundation Spirit Award for his service to New Phila's athletes.
Donahey, Gertrude W. 1984--Gertrude Walton Donahey was born in Goshen Township in Tuscarawas County, Ohio, on August 4, 1908. Donahey earned a degree from Mann's Business College in Columbus, Ohio before going to work in the Office of the Ohio Adjutant General's Business and Finance Division. Donahey eventually became involved in politics as a member of the Democratic Party. Donahey was chosen as a delegate to the Democratic National Conventions in 1964 and 1968, as well as representing the state of Ohio on the Democratic Party's platform and resolution committee. In 1964, U. S. Senator Stephen M. Young hired Donahey as his executive assistant, a position that she held until 1970. These experiences prepared Donahey for an elected position.
In 1970, Donahey became the first woman to be elected to a statewide office in Ohio when she was elected State Treasurer. She continued to serve as Ohio's Treasurer until 1983. Donahey commanded much respect in this position, both within the state and at the national level. Members of the National Association of State Auditors, Comptrollers, and Treasurers elected her as their president in 1981. Donahey was also connected by marriage to two other Ohio politicians. Her husband John W. Donahey served as Lieutenant Governor of Ohio and her father-in-law, A. Victor Donahey, was both Governor of Ohio and U. S. Senator.
Donahey died in Bexley, Ohio, on July 11, 2004.
Dover Historical Society 2004--The Dover Historical Society was founded in 1958. Its first home was the basement of the Dover Public Library. As it grew, the group then rented a room in Memorial Hall. Recognized for its responsibility and concern for preservation in 1975, Greer Steel donated the home of Jeremiah Reeves to the Society. Restoration of the mansion and carriage house took six years. Today tours are given of the home along with historical programming including a 3rd grade program for Dover's schools. They also host a history camp for kids. The Society headed Dover's bicentennial celebration and sponsors travel tours to distant historic spots for their members and guests.
Eberle, Maxine Renner 1998--Maxine has been the Corresponding Secretary for the Ragersville Historical Society since its beginning in 1979. She has translated 25 church books (kirchenbucher) of early German congregations in Tuscarawas county from old German script to English. The earliest dates to 1805. She has completed several church histories, family histories, and the 1980 Ragersville Sesquicentennial history. She attended Oberlin College and Beckwith Business School and served in the U. S. Coast Guard Reserves in World War II.
Elsasser, Jon 2010--Jon is a graduate of Canton Lincoln High School, the College of William and Mary, and Howard Business School. He spent 31 years at the Timken Company. He has lived across the world while working at Timken. He is a member of the Board of the Zoar Community Association, the Ohio Erie Canalway Association, the Ohio & Erie Canalway Coalition, the Ohio History Connection, and the Tuscarawas County Parks Department.
Endres, Eugene 1983--Gene Endres, president of Endres Floral, has been generous with his time and his floral work in promoting Tuscarawas County. He is specifically noted for his creation of the Golden Memories Rose.
Frank, Charles L. 1999--Charles attended Port Washington High School and earned a degree in teaching from Kent State University and later a masters degree from The Ohio State University. He was a tireless worker and faithful member of the Zoar United Church of Christ. Charles was an accomplished wood worker, making Zoar candle holders. He helped gather data for the Tuscarawas County school history book.
Garman, Kenneth 2006--Kenny was honored for his unselfish service to Tuscarawas County. He had been active in church work for 56 years. He was a Boy Scout Master and delivered Meals on Wheels. As a member of the Tuscarawas County Historical Society, Kenny organized fundraisers and displays. He promoted book and calendar sales throughout the county.
Green, Paul 1981--Paul Green was a Pulitzer Prize award winning author and author of Ohio's first outdoor drama, Trumpet in the Land. In a letter written at the time Green was presented with the Zeisberger Heckewelder award, Green wrote, "Your medal is a testimony to the fellowship of man."
Greer Steel 2006--Greer Steel celebrated its 100th Anniversary in 2017. The company was founded by Agnes Reeves Greer and her husband Herbert C. Greer. Greer Steel has supported the restoration of the J. E. Reeves Home and Museum, the childhood home of Agnes. Agnes held 25 patents in her name. The company has been instrumental in supporting many projects in Tuscarawas County through the years.
Groh, Glen and Ann 2008--The Groh's are retired educators in the Dover School system. Glen was an administrator. Ann has served on the Board of Trumpet in the Land for many years. Glen is an advocate for Big Brother and Big Sisters, the Forest Day Program, and the Dover Tree Commission. They have volunteered countless hours at Trumpet in the Land over the years.
Gunther, Michael A. 1999--Gunther is a graduate of Indian Valley South High School and Kent State University. He has taught at Newcomerstown, Strasburg, and Dover High Schools. He has received many teaching awards through the years, including the Martha Holden Jennings Scholar in 1987, and the Golden Apple Award for Teacher Excellence from Ashland Oil in 1998. He and his students have recorded and preserved the stories of Tuscarawas Countians who served in the Vietnam War. Each year his senior English Composition class conducted the interviews. At the time of his award they were on the fifth volume of work.
Haggis, Dr. William 2001--Dr. Haggis served Grace Lutheran Church of Dover for 26 years as senior pastor. In retirement he served the Stone Creek and Evans Creek parishes. He served as president of the Dover-New Phila Ministerial Association, on the board of directors of Habitat for Humanity, chairperson of the Delaware Indian Heritage Committee in 1988, on the board of the American Cancer Society, and the board of Community Professional Services. In 1988 he received the "Rotary Quality in Profession Award."
Hamilton, Mary 2016--Mary is a nurse and an employee of Union Hospital for over 50 years, beginning in 1959. She helped set up the newest renovation of the hospital's emergency room. She also helps maintain over 1400 miles of trails for the Buckeye Trails Association. She is a founding member of the Tuscarawas County Parks Department Advisory Committee. She has logged over 2000 volunteer hours clearing trails and has supervised community service workers on the trails.
Hart, Chris 2019--Chris Hart lives near Port Washington and brings a lot of character, and characters, to the award. By profession Chris is a pharmacist and has worked extensively giving presentations on chemical dependency and currently teaches at 7 institutions of high learning on the subject, including Ohio Northern University, the University of Findlay, Northeastern Ohio Universities College of Pharmacy, the University of Toledo, Cedarville University, and The Ohio State University. By passion, Chris is a first-person interpreter and storyteller of history, bringing to life over 50 historical figures--Martin Luther, Sherlock Holmes, Cy Young, along with a canal boat captain and a Titanic survivor--just to name a few. Chris has also worked at Roscoe Village and on Schoenbrunn Village's Sleepy Hollow.
Hasler, Rev. Dr. Richard A. 2002--Dr. Hasler is a leader, teacher, pastor, researcher and writer who added to the 18th century knowledge of David Zeisberger and missionary David Brainerd. Dr. Hasler graduated from Houghton College, earned his Master of Divinity degree from Princeton Theological Seminary, his Doctor of Divinity from Hartford Theological Seminary, and his Master's of American History from the University of Pennsylvania.
Hawk, Ida 1982--Ida Hawk is mother of nine children, each of whom has entered the service professions. They are: Vivian Barr, school teacher; Dr. Bray Hawk of St. Louis; Edna Richardson of Massillon, nurse; Dr. Dale Hawk of St. Charles, Minnesota; Drs. Gene and John Hawk of New Philadelphia; Melvin Hawk, attorney of Akron; Mrs. Ronald Williams, school teacher of Farmington Hills, Michigan; and William Hawk, pharmacist with Rice Pharmacy of Lake Cable, Ohio. There are 23 grandchildren and seven great-grandchildren.
Hillyer, Hudson "Hud" 2003--Hud was a lawyer and distinguished justice, and a significant contributer to the culture of Tuscarawas County and Ohio throughout the years. As a judge he received numerous honors and supported many Tuscarawas County organizations with their legal work. He was named the Twin City Chamber of Commerce Citizen of the Year in 1984.
Hollingsworth, Frank E. 1997--Frank and his wife, Mary, reported the local weather to WJER and the United States Department of Commerce for many years. He was a member of the Community Baptist Church of Dover.
Honaker, Dr. Linton 1997--Dr. Honaker was the third superintendent of Tuscarawas County Schools. He wanted to follow in the footsteps of his educator grandfather, Harry Hobson. He served in the army for 2 years and then attended Mount Union College. He became superintendent in 1964 and served until 1980.
Hospice 2008--Hospice of Tuscarawas County serves the dying with respect, while serving the family in bereavement and support through difficult times. The organization has many volunteers and fundraising endeavors.
James, John & Jeanie 2016--John and Jeanie have been volunteers for so many things over the years that it is hard to list them all. They have been loyal members of the Tuscarawas County Historical Society, donating items--including framing through their business. They have served on the First Town Days Committee and served extensively as judges at car shows. They edit a newsletter for the Lincoln & Continental Owners Club. Jeanie has been a winner in the Betty Crocker Cookoff. They volunteered for the Quaker Foundation and have won the Quaker Foundation Merit Award.
Jenkins, Jeanette 2001--Jeanette Jenkins was recognized for her stellar contributions in the preservation of the history of aviation in Tuscarawas County. She faithfully collected and preserved every piece of history regarding the history of the New Philadelphia Airport and presented this life work to the Tusc Kent Archives. Jeanette received her private pilot's license in 1941 and then went to Texas for WASP training (Women's Air Force Service Pilot.) She was one of 10 women to attend Instrument Instructor School in Bryan, Texas. She spent 18 months as an Instrument Flight Instructor at Las Vegas Air Force Base flying AT-6's and co-piloting B-17's. In later years Jeanette organized annual reunions of the Civilian Pilot Training program at the New Philadelphia Airport. Jeanette retired from the Timken Company.
Johnson, Norma 1992--Norma Jeanette Johnson was a trail blazer for women, a constant educator and innovator embodied by a relationship to the hills of Brandywine Valley. Entering the workforce in Cleveland just after WWII she worked in a variety of fields returning home in the 1950’s and following a family tradition taught in high schools throughout Tuscarawas County. In 1968, she became the 5th generation of Johnsons to farm land in Brandywine Valley developing a sheep herd with artisan support throughout the balance of her life. She also developed forests on former farmlands for future generations. In 1989 the Tuscarawas Soil and Water Conservation District received a portion of her farm to develop the Norma Johnson Nature Preserve and upon her demise the balance of her lands was given to Tuscarawas County for the Norma Johnson Nature Preserve now part of the Tuscarawas County Parks District.
Jurkovic, Kim 2014--Kim has worked in multiple historical organizations in Tuscarawas County including the Dover Historical Society and J. E. Reeves Victorian Home and Carriage House Museum first as an intern, and then as a tour guide, curator, and site manager. She also worked at the Dennison Railroad Depot Museum as curator. She took care of the Emmanuel Lutheran Church Archives in New Phila for many years and has previously catalogued with Fred Miller the Quaker Foundation collection when it was housed at Welty Middle School. Kim is the current curator of the Tuscarawas County Historical Society and Tusc Kent Archives.
Kane, Virginia 2002--Virginia was born in California and graduated from Antioch College in economics and statistics. She met her husband, Tom, there and he brought her to his hometown of Dover. She has been involved with a long list of organizations including the American Association of University Women, the County Committee on Aging, the County Extension Office, Mobile Meals, T-4-C, and others.
Kapitzky, Frances 1981--Frances Kapitzky, president of the Citizens Bank of Strasburg, said in her acceptance, "It is difficult to accept such an undeserved honor, but it must and should encourage my faith, courage and love on behalf of the people of Tuscarawas County and my God."
Kelley, Richard 2013--Richard worked for Marr Knapp & Crawfis Architects and Engineers. He has been a trustee for the Tuscarawas Philharmonic, the Rainbow Connection, and the Dover City Planning Commission. He has also been on the boards of Tuscarawas and Carroll Counties Mental Health, the Friends of the Dover Public Library, Union Hospital, Dover Band Boosters, and the Kiwanis Club.
Kimble, Doris Walter 2000--Doris Kimble has always worked quietly for the betterment of the community. She was born in Winfield and graduated from Dover High School. She worked at Reeves Steel, and when her husband, Floyd, returned from World War II, they started a small mining company. Doris has been involved with many community organizations including the YMCA, Grange, Trumpet in the Land, Big Brothers Big Sisters, Hospice, Union Hospital, Camp Tuscazoar, Malone College, the Fortnightly Music Club, and Dover Faith United Methodist Church.
Klaiber, Reverend Arnold 2006--Rev. Klaiber came to Tuscarawas County in 1959 when he accepted a call to the First Evangelical and Reformed Church in Sugarcreek. He was a native of New York and attended Heidelberg College. He served the Sugarcreek church for 33 years. He has been involved with the Sugarcreek Ministerial Association, the Rotary Club, the Sugarcreek Arts Council, Garaway Board of Education, and the Buckeye Career Center board. He helped start T-4-C.
Knaack, Charles 2013--Charles was a retired art teacher from Tuscarawas Valley Local Schools. He resided in Historic Zoar Village and served as councilman, mayor, and on the school board. He helped secure the local trail of the Ohio & Erie Canalway in the area. Chuck worked as the volunteer curator of the Zoar Museum and wrote many grants for the Zoar Community Association. He helped plan Zoar Days, a 5th grade history project.
Krocker, Mary 2002--Mary wrote for the Times Reporter for over 30 years and produced pamphlets on the history of Goshen and Beidler. For many years she and her family lived across the street from the Goshen Cemetery and helped with its upkeep. She is a member of the Catholic Church and has volunteered with the Ohio Reads program at Midvale Elementary.
Lahm, Richard 2016--Richard has promoted the heritage of Sugarcreek for over 50 years through his involvement with the Ohio Swiss Festival Committee. He is the founder and chairperson of the Fabulous 50s Fling Car Show. He is also active with his church and Garaway Local Schools.
Laurence, George 2010--George is an active member of the Tuscarawas County Heritage Home Association and has been awarded their Member of the Year Award. George is involved with Historic Schoenbrunn Village, the Dennison Railroad Depot Museum and its Polar Express, and the New Philadelphia Bicentennial Committee. He restored the "Welcome to our City" sign for the bicentennial and was instrumental in creating the Courthouse displays and the fairgrounds events for the county bicentennial in 2008. His company, Museum Acrylics, makes museum displays for facilities across the nation.
Lebold, William Sr. 1984--William Lebold said in his acceptance speech that his family lived by the belief that "the only thing you have in life is what you give away."
Liberatore, Melody J. 1996--Melody attended school at Midvale, Uhrichsville, and graduated from New Philadelphia. She earned a degree from Kent State University in Theater Arts and Speech. She taught English, speech, and oral interpretation for New Philadelphia City Schools. To go along with her teaching, Melody has a beautiful voice and performed in many Little Theater productions, being recognized as an "Outstanding Actress" by the Ohio State Community Theater Association. She has also performed with the Canton Symphony and toured Europe with the Pittsburgh Mendelsohn Choir.
Lile, Honorable Roger G. 2007--Roger has served the community in many capacities throughout the years, including the Quaker Foundation Board, the Tuscarawas County Foundation Board, and leading a rebuilding team to Louisiana following hurricane Katrina with Emmanuel Lutheran Church. He has served with the Boy Scouts and at Kent State University Tuscarawas Campus on the Board of Trustees and with the Foundation. He leads in a quiet manner.
Linn Hert Geib Company 2007--The Geib Company was honored for their dedication to so many community building activities. the sponsored the Headstones to History Cemetery Walks, the Remembrances of Downtown Dover and New Phila, and other projects in association with the Tuscarawas County Historical Society.
Loveday, Amos J. Jr. 1987--Loveday received the Zeisberger Heckewelder Medal in recognition of his commendable community service, his efforts in supervising the excavation of Fort Laurens in Bolivar, and also his leadership in the movement to have the state rebuild a portion of the fort and erect appropriate interpretive plaques at the site of the fort and cemetery.
Marlowe, Jerry 2004--Mention the name Jerry Marlowe in Dover or New Philadelphia and you'll probably get a smile. Jerry hosted a television show, "Wild in the Kitchen" out of Canton and wrote a cooking column for the Times Reporter. He learned the fundamentals of being a druggist and running the family business from his father. Today Jerry is involved in providing medicine to nursing homes. Jerry is a longtime supporter of the Little Theater, the Tuscarawas Philharmonic, the Summer Showcase and Trumpet in the Land.
Marr, Charles 1986--Charles Marr is the retired founder of the Marr, Knapp and Crawfis architectural firm, and has been cited not only for his work within Tuscarawas County, but for his work in the formation and unification of the American Society of Architects. He is also honored for the founding of a local scholarship for deserving students wishing to pursue architecture as a career.
Marsh, John J. 1995--John Marsh was involved in Marsh Enterprises in Tuscarawas County which contributed to the industrial growth in the area. He supported the YMCA, Camp Tuscazoar, Union Hospital, and his church through capital improvements and building programs. He and his wife established the John and Orlena Marsh Foundation for the benefit of the community.
Marsh, V. H. (Vic) 1985--Vic Marsh published his biography and in it tells of his leadership of the Marsh Lumber Company and Masonite Corporation. He also worked with Union Hospital, the Chamber of Commerce, Airport Commissioners, Boy Scouts, Little League, Soap Box Derby, and church.
Maus, Francis 1985--Francis Maus fits the description of a "self-made man." He worked through both high school and college to star as an athlete. He graduated from Wittenberg as valedictorian of his class and became the director of management and development and training at Weirton Steel Corporation at Weirton, West Virginia. Maus has authored books on economics and business success, is former president of the Dover Kiwanis and has served as chairman for community fund raising campaigns in its mission, "serving the children of the world."
Maus noted in his acceptance speech that one of the biggest thrills of his life was helping with the excavations at Schoenbrunn, the original 1772 Christian Native American settlement near New Philadelphia.
Metzger, Kerry 2019--Kerry Metzger is a long-time public servant from Tuscarawas County and recently retired as Tuscarawas County Commissioner. Along with his public service, Kerry has also been very active in preserving the historical character of Tuscarawas County. By profession Kerry was a dentist turned politician. He spent 31 years as a New Philadelphia Council member, a lawmaker in the Ohio House of Representatives, and Tuscarawas County Commissioner. He learned about community service as a member of the Jaycees. He won his first election in 1986 as the Ward 2 City Councilman. He was elected to the Ohio House of Representatives in 1994 and was there until 2002 when he could no longer serve due to term limits. He then decided to run for County Commissioner. As a commissioner he was involved in the celebration of the county's bicentennial in 2008 and in the most recent restoration of the county courthouse. Metzger takes pride in his work in all of these capacities.
McCue, Larry and Joe Ann 2012--The McCue's have worked tirelessly for the Tuscarawas County Genealogical Society. Larry is in charge of the archive building--the caretaker of much of the county's heritage. He constructs shelves and helps catalogue items in the collection. He superintends the transfer from the County to the Society. He helps with publishing the newsletter and books of the Society. Joe Ann heads the library committee. She makes sure the facility is staffed with volunteers. One often finds the McCues at the Society on a Sunday afternoon working on a project.
McInturf, Jan 2019--Jan McInturf is a local realtor. When he started his own realty business, he saved an old Victorian home on Tuscarawas Avenue to turn into his offices. Professionally he has consistently won awards from the Ohio Association of Realtors for sales volume. The Tuscarawas County Chamber of Commerce named him Citizen of the Year in 2017 for his contributions to the community. Jan takes pride in supporting his community and raising his family here. He is a lifelong resident of New Philadelphia and supports the community through the Lions Club, Quaker Foundation, and Tuscora Park board. One of the big ways Jan gives back to the community is through McInturf Realty's Christmas in the Park. Christmas in the Park has been held for the past 22 years (as of 2019), growing every year and attracting a crowd of thousands. The family event is a gift to the community with entertainment, carriage rides through Storybook Lane, park rides, a live nativity, and Santa.
Michels, Robert F. "Bob" 2005--In 1986 Bob Michels was listed as an Outstanding Young Man of America. Bob helped restore and create the Dennison Railroad Depot Museum. Bob was also a member of the Claymont Jaycees who helped restore the Civil War monument in Uhrichsville's Union Cemetery. He was named the Twin City Citizen of the Year in 1987. Bob serves on the Dennison Rotary who have undertaken many worthwhile projects in the area. He is a graduate of Claymont High School and Kent State University.
Miller, Charles 2012--As a lifelong member of the John Heckewelder Memorial Church in Gnadenhutten, Chuck has helped preserve many of the documents and collections of the church. He has been an asset to the Tuscarawas County Historical Society by donating hundreds of old post cards and documents to be digitalized for our collections. For decades Chuck has collected, preserved, and shared the county's history. He participated in the archaeological exploration of Gnadenhutten and participated in the Tuscarawas County Bicentennial.
Miller, Fred 2014--Fred was a retired educator, having taught for 6 years, followed by 24 years as a principal at Bolivar Elementary. Beginning in 1997, Fred served as the President of the Tuscarawas County Historical Society. For 14 years he was the Director of the Tusc Kent Archives. He received the Quaker Foundation Community Service Award and the VFW Post 1445 Americanism Award. He was most proud of speaking at 7 Memorial Day Observances throughout the county.
Miller, Max T. 1986--Mr. Miller is a past president and charter member-founder of Trumpet in the Land, the outdoor drama produced in New Philadelphia each summer, with music by Pulitzer Prize winning composer Paul Green. Miller took his mother's kitchen craft business and founded Miller Studio, employing hundreds of people and contributing to the economy of the area.
Mizer, Lloyd E. 1996--Lloyd was an avid genealogist and compiled The History of the Schools in Tuscarawas County, Ohio with over 700 pages of information on the county schools. Lloyd was raised on a farm in Auburn Township, and like his 4 brothers, became a teacher. He graduated from Bowling Green State University. He was a teacher and principal for 35 years. He has also completed numerous volumes on Mizer family genealogy.
Mortine, Wayne and Weldon 2007--Wayne and Weldon Mortine were instrument players in recording the history and prehistory of Tuscarawas County and the State of Ohio. Wayne is a retired grocer from Newcomerstown and active in the Temperance Tavern Museum, the Rotary, and the Newcomerstown Historical Society. He is a longtime member of the Ohio Archaeological Society. Weldon is a retired Air Force Lieutenant Colonel. He is a volunteer curator for the Ohio Historical Society and spent much time determining the history of the Old Stone Fort west of Newcomerstown.
Mueller, Peggy 2012--Peggy Mueller has lived all over the world, but in retirement she and her husband, Ernie, settled in Tuscarawas County where her father-in-law was the first cheesemaker at the Broad Run Dairy. She has been president of College Club and is involved in genealogical research. She has helped lead tours of the area, travels with an antique car group, and promotes tourism with the Mueller family's involvement in the Ohio Swiss Festival. Peggy volunteers at the First United Methodist Church of New Phila's Clothes Closet ministry.
Myers, C. Bernard "Bernie" 2001--Myers received the award in recognition of his outstanding service to many organizations in Tuscarawas County. At the age of 90, Bernie answered an ad in the Times Reporter to volunteer for Big Brothers Big Sisters of Tuscarawas County. Bernie was a docent at the Wilderness Center by taking children on trail walks and talks at the Center. He moved to Tuscarawas County in 1956 from Michigan to manage the J C Penney store and served in that capacity for 33 years. He was associated with the Boy Scouts of America for over 70 years. At the age of 90 he volunteered to drive for Mobile Meals.
Newcomerstown Historical Society 2014--The Newcomerstown Historical Society runs the Temperance Tavern Museum that was originally a tavern and inn during the days of the Ohio & Erie Canal. It was also a hiding place on the Underground Railroad. They have a collection of Cy Young and Woody Hayes Memoribilia. The society's Olde Main Street Museum has a replica of an early 1900s village.
Ohio Swiss Festival 2016--The Ohio Swiss Festival began in 1953 to not only promote Swiss Cheese, but also Sugarcreek and Tuscarawas County. They honor the traditions of the Swiss Culture through the weekend festival.
Olmstead, Dr. Earl P. 1999--Earl was a graduate of New Philadelphia High School and worked in many jobs including vice president of sales of the Akron Hardware Company, selling real estate, and manager of Monroe Mall. He was on the first Board of Trustees of the Buckeye Career Center. Earl had been an avid historian ever since his father had taken him to see the archaeological dig at Schoenbrunn in the 1920s. Following his "first" retirement, Earl began the study of David Zeisberger. Earl received numerous awards for his work. Kent State University conferred on him an Honorary Doctorate Degree in Humane Letters in 1997.
Page, Ann and John 2007--Ann and John Page give generously of their time, talents and resources for the betterment of the young people of Uhrichsville and Mill Township. John founded the Pillars Club and served on the Tuscarawas County Foundation. Ann was a crossing guard for over 20 years. Each year they give scholarships to deserving students and have received numerous awards for their service, including the Senior Adult Heroes Award by former first lady Mrs. Taft.
Patton, Tom 1990--Tom was a graduate of Dover High School and worked for a few years at Shenango Penn Mold before enrolling at Miami University. Upon graduation, he returned home to Dover and began his distinguished career at the Y.M.C.A.
Petricola, Gary A. 1995--Gary started working at radio station WJER while still in high school. In 1977 he bought the station. Gary participates in many community projects and activities including serving and helping with Union Hospital, the Community Improvement Council, Trumpet in the Land, and Junior Achievement. He was the voice of the Dover Marching Tornadoes for many years.
Pieper, Thomas 2011--In the 1960s Tom Pieper did his thesis study at Heidelberg College on Fort Laurens. He expanded the scholarship while a graduate student at Kent State University and the work was published. He has served on the board of the Fort Laurens Reconstruction Committee. He spoke at archeaological digs at the Fort in 1984 and 1986. Dr. Michael Gramly used Tom's work to help with his archeaological exploration. Tom has been at encampments at the Fort with the French Welsch Fusiliers.
Rainbow Connection 2019--In 2017 he Rainbow Connection gave $220,047 in assistance to over 10,000 children and adults in Tuscarawas County. One hundred percent of the donated money to the Rainbow Connections stays in the county. The Rainbow Connection was originally organized in 1950 as the Tuscarawas Society for Crippled Children and Adults. In 1981 it became known as the Tuscarawas Easter Seal Society. In 1992 the organization left the Easter Seal umbrella to continue its mission to serve the people of Tuscarawas County. The Rainbow Connection provides services such as medical supplies and equipment; medical bill and prescription assistance; and technological assistance, along with programming for children with autism; children and adults with cancer, muscular dystrophy, cerebral palsy and multiple sclerosis; and maternity and infant care programs. The theme of its children's programming is "Giving Children the Hope of Tomorrow." The society is comprised of a dedicated volunteer board of directors.
Reymond, George A. 2005--George is a graduate of Midvale, served as a Marine, and earned his bachelor's and master's degrees from Kent State University, becoming a professional archaeologist. George served as the Director of Community & Economic Development for Tuscarawas County. He has lent his expertise to many community projects including the Gnadenhutten Mission House, the Ohio Erie Canal Heritage Corridor & Canal Lands, the Zoar Bridge, Civil War veterans projects, Habitat for Humanity, and was the first director of the Norma Johnson Center.
Roll, Geneva A. 1995--Geneva grew up on a small farm south of Newcomerstown. She graduated from Newcomerstown High School in 1930 and attended Muskingum College. She interrupted her schooling to get married and raise a family of 5. In 1958 she earned her B.S. degree in education from Muskingum. She retired as a teacher in 1974. She was a community activist in her roles at Broadway Methodist Church, the Union Grange, and Trumpet in the Land. She assisted in writing a definitive history of the county schools, The History of the Schools of Tuscarawas County.
Romig, Ralph 1982--Author and publisher of the Buckeye Country Magazine and civic leader of Tuscarawas. Romig, a former school teacher and councilman of Tuscarawas, was president of the Tuscarawas County Historical Society. He has authored various books including: The Valley of the Tuscarawas and Cy Young: Baseball's Legendary Giant.
Rosebush, Dr. Judson G. 1999--Dr. Rosebush was born in Wisconsin and earned his bachelors degree from Kansas. He earned his masters degree at the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy and his doctorate from the Maxwell School of Citizenship at Syracuse University. He served in World War II and the Korean conflict. He taught political science at Wooster College until 1954. For 18 years he and his wife and son ran a 4200 acre sheep and cattle ranch in southeast Ohio. Then in 1964, Dr. Rosebush began teaching at the Kent State Tuscarawas Campus. He won teaching awards many times and retired in 1993.
Russell, Woody 1998--Elwood Mitchell Russell was born in Kentucky and served in the 149th Infantry Regiment of the 38th Division in the Pacific during World War II. He was a reservist during the Korean conflict. He was a postal worker in New Philadelphia and served for over 50 years as a distinguished member of VFW Post 1445. Woody has received many commendations for his efforts on behalf of veterans. He was the editor of the Ohio VFW News. Woody was also involved with the District Boy Scouts and edited The National Hobby News.
Schlote, Ed & Gale 2003--The Schlotes, alone with members of the Crossbearers Sunday School class, helped establish the Lighthouse Program for junior and senior high school students in New Philadelphia. The program created a wholesome and fun place for the young people in the area to socialize and grow. Ed serves as a church trustee and staff parish member of the First United Methodist Church. He has also been director for the United Way Board. Gale serves as a trustee with the church and as treasurer for Mobile Meals. She is also on the Park Place Advisory Board.
Scott, Vane & Barbara 2003--The Scotts have given their time in so many ways to promote the history of Newcomerstown and Tuscarawas County. Vane and Barbara have been successful business people, owning Great Scott Displays and the Colonial Flag Company. Vane was an accomplished musician and had performed before hundreds of thousands of enthusiastic people with his patriotic program "Many Faces of Old Glory." Barbara is the longtime president of the Temperance Tavern/Cy Young Museum and the Newcomerstown Rotary Club. Vane was a veteran of World War II serving on the USS Radford and opened the USS Radford National Naval Museum in Newcomerstown.
Snyder, Anne C. & Leonard W. 2001--The Snyders were honored for their involvement in the preservation of the history of Tuscarawas County. Leonard worked at the Penn Mold Company and Marlite Company and retired as director of the Tuscarawas County Department of Human Services. Anne and Leonard are 50 year members of the Order of the Eastern Star where they served in leadership positions and have served Mobile Meals as officers. Anne was the former librarian at Strasburg and New Phila Schools and with the New Phila Public Library. She began the Tuscarawas County Historical Society's newsletter, The Chronicler, in the 1980s and has been a faithful member of the Society for many years. Leonard has served on the board of directors of the historical society.
Snyder, Harold I. 1995--Harold Snyder graduated from Louisville High School and attended the Cleveland Institute of Art and the Ringling School of Art. When his employer, Cardinal Products, moved to New Philadelphia in 1947, he helped design their new building. Four years later the company closed and the building sold to the Timken Company. Before the company closed, Snyder had set out on his own making laminated products such as baby pants, raincoats, and sweeper bags. In 1960, Hal discovered and developed the Hemovac to remove drainage during operations. His company was eventually sold to Zimmer Patient Care. Snyder helped employ thousands in the county,
Spring, Henry 1983--Henry Spring was an avid promoter of history and tourism in Tuscarawas County, often showing up at historical events in costume. Owner of Spring Electric in Uhrichsville, he did much to improve the economic, social, and historical life of Tuscarawas County.
Stauffer, Bruce and Suzanne 2014--The Stauffers share a lifetime of giving to Tuscarawas County. They have been involved in the Sugarcreek Community, with the Ragersville Historical Society, and with agricultural organizations in tireless efforts for the county. Both have been educators and Suzanne was a reference librarian. All the while, they kept Echo Valley Farm and hosted a Young Farmers tour in the 1980s.
Strickling, Patricia & Thomas 2004--Patti and Tom are teachers in the community at Strasburg. Patti teaches art to more than 400 students a week and Tom encourages students to create useful items that will last. They are involved in historical endeavors as members of the Tuscarawas County Historical Society, Dennison Depot Museum, Dover Historical Society, the Model A Ford Club of America, and the National First Ladies Library, where Patti serves on the educational committee. The couple are perhaps best known as one of the driving forces behind the Heritage Home Association of Tuscarawas County. Patti helped prepare the "Historic Self-Guided Tours of New Philadelphia." Tom served as chair and emcee for the New Philadelphia Bicentennial Dance. He successfully led a drive to rezone 3 1/2 blocks for one of New Phila's most historic neighborhoods. His hobbies include nearly everything, but especially antique clocks.
Swigart, Agnes 2011--Agnes Swigart is the retired assistant dean at Kent State University Tuscarawas Campus and is active in the Chestnut Society to support local campus programs and scholarships. She has served on the Union Hospital Board of Trustees, the Planning Committee of an organization to provide defibrillators in Tuscarawas, Carroll, and Harrison Counties, a member of the Kiwanis Club, and the board of the Tuscarawas Philharmonic. Agnes' efforts make Tuscarawas County a better place.
Tuscarawas County Convention and Vistors Bureau 2011--The Tuscarawas CVB promotes the county and its many historic sites and attractions to visitors from across the globe. They work with bus groups and newspaper writers, attend conventions and meetings, and spend time out and about to promote the area.
Van Fossen, Erin L. 2005--Erin has overcome many adversities in her life. She has a master's degree in Vocational Administration from Kent State University and has worked many years at the Buckeye Career Center. Erin also works with the Tuscarawas County Chamber of Commerce and Leadership Tuscarawas. She co-chaired the New Philadelphia Bicentennial Committee and edited the book New Philadelphia in Vintage Postcards. She helped get the "Welcome to Our City" sign rebuilt on the square.
Virtue, Ross 1984--Ross Virtue said he was overwhelmed when he received the Zeisberger Heckewelder award. He was recognized for his career in education and the founding of the Gnadenhutten Museum.
Wagner, Shirley Kimmel 2006--Mrs. Wagner is a graduate of Muskingum College and a retired teacher. She has been a quiet symbol of support for many organizations across Tuscarawas County. She supports the Summer Showcase at Tuscora Park, the Philharmonic, the Tuscarawas Center for the Arts, the Little Theater, and is a life member of the Tuscarawas County Historical Society, the Dennison Railroad Depot Museum, the Dover Historical Society and Trumpet in the Land. She sponsors a scholarship to Muskingum University in honor of her father through the Quaker Foundation. She received the Alumni Award from Muskingum in 2005.
Warther, David 1988--Dave was born in Dover, Ohio in 1926, son of the late Ernest "Mooney" and Frieda (Richard) Warther. Following his service in the U. S. Navy in 1946, Dave returned home and he and his father developed and operated Warther Museum and Cutlery Company in Dover. Though receiving many offers to sell, Dave kept this treasure in Dover, an incredible asset to his home town and the world. This amazing display of the hand-carved history of trains and other carvings was once appraised by the Smithsonian Museum as a priceless work of art. Dave and his family have often used the museum to promote the Tuscarawas Valley through various community projects and fundraising events including the annual Union Hospital Christmas Tree Festival.
Dave believed strongly in serving his community and was a Life and Honorary Member of the Dover Kiwanis Club where he served twice as its president. He also co-founded the Tuscarawas Valley Tourist Association, as well as being recipient of the Paul Sherlock Award, the highest honor given for Ohio Tourism. Dave and his family attended St. Joseph Catholic Church in Dover. He and his wife, Joanne, served as parade marshalls in Dover parades. Dave has been instrumental in retaining the local knife business. Many people have learned about the history of steam, railroads, local steel mills, and the artistic use of proportion and material from the continued preservation work of Dave Warther.
Weaver, Alga "Peg" 1985--Alga "Peg" Weaver retired in 1976 after devoting nearly 50 years to the 4-H Club movement. This organization has local clubs in communities all over the U. S. Each of these clubs of five to fifty members has a leader. With the leader, the youth have picked a project or projects for the year. The most well-known projects have been animal raising. However, there are also projects such as flower gardening, photography, and sewing, a most popular project and the area where Peg was best known. For years and years she was willing to judge and send on to the Ohio State Fair the best of Tuscarawas County youth needle skills. In her work, Peg also served as Tuscarawas County Extention Agent and club advisor. She impacted the lives of countless citizens in these roles.
Wherley, Dr. Benjamin J. 2002--Dr. Wherley graduated from Stone Creek High School. He attended Heidelberg College and the University of Buffalo Medical School, earning his medical degree. He then attended The Ohio State University for his specialty of ophthalmology. He spent two years in the Army and then returned to practice in Tuscarawas County, where his father told him "the best patients in the world reside here." Ben has served with his church and served with Mercy Ships in Guatemala performing sight saving operations.
Wilcoxon, Paula 2000--Paula is a graduate of Claymont High School and Malone College with a degree in communication arts. She was part of the Adelphia Cable 2 Morning Show. She is an excellent interviewer and listener to her on-air guests. She has provided the Historical Society with an extended outreach through her program.
Youngen, Lowell 2010--Lowell became the volunteer director of the Alpine Hills Historical Museum in Sugarcreek upon his retirement from Brightwood Motors. He worked tirelessly to restore display cases and update displays. He was a member of the Ragersville and Tuscarawas County Historical Societies. He spend 27 years volunteering for the Ohio Swiss Festival and started the first Arts and Crafts Show there. He was a member of the Sugarcreek Village Council, the Garaway Scholarship Committee, and started a 4-H Club in Sugarcreek. He was also very involved in the First United Church of Christ in Sugarcreek.
Zimmerman, Donald W. 2000--Don was a respected member of the Ohio Bar Association and has won many accolades over the years. He graduated from New Philadelphia High School, Ohio Wesleyan University, and Case Western Reserve School of Law. He had worked with the Rainbow Connection since 1954, as an officer of the Union Hospital board, a trustee of Kent State Tuscarawas Campus, and the New Philadelphia Rotary.
Zimmerman, Walter E. 1997--Walter was the Director, Vice-President, General Manager, and President of Greer Steel Company in Dover. He served the community extensively with the YMCA, Dover Chamber of Commerce, the Community Improvement Council, and the Dover Board of Education. He served for many years as the Reeves Foundation Executive Director.
Zoar Community Association 2003--The ZCA formed in 1967 to celebrate the sesquicentennial of the founding of the village of Zoar. Through their leadership and financial backing, they have restored the Zoar Schoolhouse and the Zoar Town Hall. The restored Town Hall serves as the offices of the village and also houses a unique museum telling the story of the Zoarites' involvement in the building of the Ohio Erie Canal.